[R-meta] moderator and adjusted effects

Röver, Christian chr|@t|@n@roever @end|ng |rom med@un|-goett|ngen@de
Mon Dec 14 20:37:56 CET 2020

Dear Valeria,

another difference between your options (1) and (2) is that in case of
(1) you get three different, independent estimates of the heterogeneity
(tau), whereas in (2) you assume a common heterogeneity parameter for
all three groups.

In case you have "many" studies in each group (say, 20), it may not
make much of a difference, but if you have "few" studies (say, 5) in
some, and the assumption of a common heterogeneity parameter seems
plausible, then borrowing information on the heterogeneity across the
three groups may help.

Cheers,

Christian

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:computing_adjusted_effects