[R-meta] Funnel Plots for Multilevel Meta

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Sat Dec 12 18:09:40 CET 2020

Dear Valeria

Whatever choice you make, and Gerta has given you some valuable
references, make sure you actually look at the plot with an open mind
and interpret everything in it. It is just another way of looking at the
data and may show other features than small study effects.

Michael

On 12/12/2020 13:43, Valeria Ivaniushina wrote:

> Dear Michael and Wolfgang.
>
> at the end of Egger's regression / funnel plot thread, Wolfgang said:
> "To what extent such a plot is indicative of publication bias / small
> study effects is a different issue"
>
> Could you please say more on this topic?
> Particularly I am interested in this: is a plot with 8 effects informative?
> Or a plot with less than 20 effects?
>
> Best,
> Valeria
>
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 11:28 PM Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP)
> <wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl
> <mailto:wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl>> wrote:
>
>     A funnel plot is simply a plot of the estimates against their
>     standard errors (or some other measure of precision). So one can
>     draw such a plot whether there are multiple estimates from the same
>     study or not. Hence, funnel() in metafor will happily do so:
>
>     library(metafor)
>
>     dat <- dat.konstantopoulos2011
>     res <- rma.mv <http://rma.mv>(yi, vi, random = ~ 1 |
>     district/school, data=dat)
>     res
>     funnel(res)
>
>     One could indicate (with different colors or plotting symbols) which
>     estimates belong to the same study.
>
>     cols <- palette.colors(length(unique(dat$district)), palette="Alphabet")
>     cols <- cols[as.numeric(factor(dat$district))]
>     funnel(res, col=cols)
>
>     Then one can see how points from the same study (or in this case,
>     'district') cluster together.
>
>     To what extent such a plot is indicative of publication bias / small
>     study effects is a different issue (but the same applies even to
>     simpler meta-analyses with a single estimate per study).
>
>     Best,
>     Wolfgang

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html