[R-meta] rma, sandwich correction and very small data sets

Valeria Ivaniushina v@|v@n|u@h|n@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Dec 9 16:21:52 CET 2020

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you VERY much!
Thank you for correcting my code -- indeed, random effect on the 1st level
is totally needed!

A couple more questions, if I may

1. There are too little cases for such a complex data structure, and it's a
serious limitation.
But I hope that even if the results may be considered only as descriptive,
they still point out in the correct direction?
Especially taking into account that all three subsamples show quite similar
results.
Is it a valid interpretation?

2. Considering that the sample is small (and 3-level!),  I guess that
analysis of outliers would be excessive. Is it right?

3. The same goes for publication bias analysis? (as James points out, these
tests do not have strong power:
www.jepusto.com/publication/selective-reporting-with-dependent-effects/ )

4. and there is no power for mediation analysis, so I don't have to even
attempt to do it?

5. Estimators question:
 "robust" function in rma is using sandwich-type estimator, and with adjust
= TRUE it does a small-sample adjustment
In the clubSandwich library there are a bunch of estimators with different
small sample corrections. They give somewhat different results, some are
very close to "robust" output
Is clubSandwich  CR2 (for example) better than robust.rma?
Or, if CR estimators from clubSandwich are not definitely preferable, can I
just use robust.rma?

Best,
Valeria