[R-meta] Subgroup analysis with RVE

Thu Dec 3 12:30:30 CET 2020

Hi Gerta,

Interesting, thanks for this clarification on terminology.

In principle, it is an arbitrary distinction anyway, since one can easily fit a meta-regression model that allows tau^2 to differ across subgroups, which is exactly identical to fitting RE models in the two subgroups.

But this is only true when the only predictor is the factor distinguishing the subgroups. Once the model includes additional predictors, the equivalence breaks down (unless one fits a model that allows the coefficients for the additional predictors to also differ across subgroups).