[R-meta] Dependant variable in Meta Analysis

Thu Aug 27 15:23:47 CEST 2020

Hi Tarun,

For 1, exp(b1)*100 is the percent change, not b1*100.

For 2, if you know b0 and b1, then you know the mean of y for x=0 (b0) and the mean of y for x=1 (b0+b1). Now you also need the SD for x=0 and the SD for x=1, but this can't be recovered. However, if you know the MSE, then the square-root of that is the pooled within-group SD, so you can also use that. And you need to know the number of observations where x=0 and where x=1 (so those are the two group sizes, n0 and n1). Then you have everything to compute the ROM and its sampling variance.

If you don't know the MSE but the SE of b1 (or t = b1/SE[b1] from which one can easily recover SE[b1] or the p-value which one can transform into t, which then gives you the SE), then one can easily back-calculate the MSE from that (assuming you know n0 and n1), since

MSE = SE[b1]^2 * sum((x_i - mean(x))^2)

The second term can be computed if you know n0 and n1, since:

sum((x_i - mean(x))^2) = n0 * (0 - n1/(n0+n1))^2 + n1 * (1 - n1/(n0+n1))^2.

One can simplify this equation further, but this should make it clear that mean(x) is just the proportion of 1's and x_i can only take on two different values here (0 and 1).

For 3, as discussed, you can use ROM.

For 4, you are out of luck. You need the means of the two groups (to compute ROM and its variance), but if you only know their difference, then this is not sufficient.