[R-meta] metafor - specifying spatial random effects

Mon Aug 24 15:43:04 CEST 2020

Hi Grace,

The results for the two models are the same because in the 'spatial model' tau^2 is estimated to be 0 (and hence there is no heterogeneity corresponding to the spatial random effect) and in the second model the variance of the true effects for the different levels of 'Habitat3' is 0. So in essence, you would get the same results with:

rma.mv(yi=yi, V=vi, data=subby, method="REML")

Looking at the Q-test, I see that the test statistic is about half the size of the degrees of freedom. That's a bit unusual. The expected value of Q under the null hypothesis (that the true effects are homogeneous) is the df. Under homogeneity, that means that Q should fluctuate around df and sure, it should also sometimes be smaller than the df, but such a small Q-statistic is a bit unusual (a value this small or smaller should only occur with probability 1 - .9744). In essence, this indicates 'excessive homogeneity'. This could occur for various reasons:

1) By chance (there is, after all, still a 2.6% chance of seeing such a small Q-statistic and if somebody can win the lottery, then somebody can also get such a small Q, the latter actually being much more likely).

2) This could happen when the sampling variances are not computed correctly, such that they are way too large. Then any heterogeneity will just 'disappear' in the sampling variances.

3) The sampling errors are highly positively correlated, but treated as independent. Note that adding spatial random effects can account for spatial correlations in the underlying true effects, but not in the sampling errors. For the latter, one would have to construct a V matrix that properly reflects spatial correlations in the sampling errors.

This is in essence the same issue as when dealing with temporally autocorrelated effects. Autocorrelation in the sampling errors needs to be handled separately from adding autocorrelated random effects. See help(dat.fine1993) and help(dat.ishak2007) for examples of that and:

Musekiwa, A., Manda, S. O., Mwambi, H. G., & Chen, D. G. (2016). Meta-analysis of effect sizes reported at multiple time points using general linear mixed model. PLOS ONE, 11(10), e0164898.