[R-meta] Standard Error of an effect size for use in longitudinal meta-analysis

Mon Aug 17 08:58:36 CEST 2020

If you have unbiased estimates y1 and y2, then y1-y2 is also unbiased, so no, there is no need to correct y1-y2.

If you also have unbiased estimates of the sampling variances, Var[y1] and Var[y2], then Var[y1] + Var[y2] is an unbiased estimate of the sampling variance of y1-y2 (note that this assumes that y1 and y2 are independent).

The large-sample variances of y1 and y2 are not unbiased, neither before or after multiplying them with cfactor(n-1)^2. The equation for an unbiased estimate of Var[y1] and Var[y2] is given in Viechtbauer (2007).