[R-meta] Options for generating a forest plot for multilevel subgroup meta-analysis

Mon Aug 17 09:16:32 CEST 2020

Dear Mikayla,

Given the data structure you describe, the two variance components in the multilevel model will be hardy distinguishable. I would be cautious in using a multilevel model then. I would personally do one of the following:

1) Select one of the two estimates (based on some a priori rule). Then there is no dependency and you can use standard methods for pooling the estimates.

2) Run the analysis twice, each time including only one of the two. As above.

3) Impute the covariance between the two estimates based on r*SE1*SE2, where r is some assumed correlation and SE1 and SE2 are the standard errors of the (transformed) prevalence estimates. I would then use this covariance in my V matrix and use rma.mv(), but without a multilevel structure (just random effects for the individual estimates). Then one could vary r within a reasonable range and check the sensitivity of the results to the assumed correlation.

You wrote that you used the "arcsine transformation" for your data, but then also "transf.ipft", which is for the Freeman-Tukey double arcsine transformation. The "arcsine transformation" (or more precisely, the arcsine square root transformation) is not the same as the latter. But I guess you indeed used the Freeman-Tukey double arcsine transformation.

However, before using the back-transformation, I would suggest to read:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jrsm.1348

As for showing subgroups with the forest() function from metafor, you will have to do more manual work. See, for example:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/plots:forest_plot_with_subgroups