[R-meta] Metafor results tau^2 and R^2

Dr. Gerta Rücker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Sun Aug 9 16:19:46 CEST 2020

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you for clarifying this. I really thought it was the Higgins R^2,
as it stands in the neighborhood of I^2 and H^2 and also as in the given
case also its value 1 is plausible (however, in fact , Higgins's R^2
would not be expressed in percent).

I confused these two R^2s, and I might not be the only person confusing
these. Do you see a way to avoid this misconception, for example by
mentioning Raudenbush in the output text?

Best,

Gerta

Am 09.08.2020 um 12:57 schrieb Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP):
> Hi All,
>
> R^2 in the output of metafor is *not* R^2 from Higgins et al. (2002). It is in fact a (pseudo) coefficient of determination that goes back to Raudenbush (1994). It estimates how much of the (total) heterogeneity is accounted for by the moderator(s) included in the model. If the *residual* amount of heterogeneity (i.e., the unaccounted for heterogeneity) is 0 after including the moderator(s) in the model, then R^2 is going to be 100% (i.e., all of the heterogeneity has been accounted for). One would in fact expect then that the moderator (or set of moderators) is significant -- it would actually be a bit odd if a moderator accounts for all of the heterogeneity, but fails to be significant (although one could probably construct an example where this is the case). And reporting R^2 is definitely useful, although should be cautiously interpreted given that R^2 can be rather inaccurate when k is small (as discussed in López‐López et al., 2014).

>>> tau (square root of estimated tau^2 value):             0
>>> I^2 (residual heterogeneity / unaccounted variability): 0.00%
>>> H^2 (unaccounted variability / sampling variability):   1.00