[R-meta] meta-analysis of 0 events in one or both arms

Gerta Ruecker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Fri Apr 3 11:34:17 CEST 2020

Dear Irene,

Double-zero studies can be safely ignored for relative measures such as
RR and OR, because they do not contribute to the likelihood (see, for
example, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32065224 ).

Studies with a zero in only one arm (single-zero studies) are included
with the Mantel-Haenszel method, without need of a continuity
correction. In the meta package, to avoid a continuity correction, one
has to set incr = 0. The Peto method includes one-zero studies always
without a continuity correction, but likewise ignores double-zero studies.

The sentence you cited from the meta help page means that in order to
include studies with zero events in both groups you have to set
allstudies=TRUE. You need a continuity correction. If not, they are
excluded.

In netmeta, it is similar: If you set allstudies=TRUE, all studies are
included, but with an increment, by default incr=0.5.

For network meta-analysis, instead of using the netmeta() function, you
may consider using function netmetabin(), which uses one-stage methods
like the Mantel-Haenszel method. See example(netmetabin).

Summarizing this,

  * it is no problem to include single-zero studies without needing a
    continuity correction when using the Mantel-Haenszel estimator (or
    other one-stage methods).
  * Double-zero studies can only be included by using an increment
  * But this is not necessary/recommended because they are not
    informative for relative measures.

Best,

Gerta