[R-meta] Covariance-variance matrix when studies share multiple treatment x control comparison

Ju Lee juhyung2 @end|ng |rom @t@n|ord@edu
Thu Sep 26 08:13:03 CEST 2019

Dear Wolfgang,

I deeply appreciate your time looking into this issue, and this has been immensely helpful.
I was able to incorporate all possible inter-dependence among effect sizes by adding different layers of non-independence to our dataframe.

I manually calculated hedges'd based on based on Hedges and Olkin (1985), and it generates exactly same value as hedges' g in escalc() "SMD" function. So hopefully I am doing everything right using the equation we've discussed earlier.

I have been also wondering if it is possible to account of this variance-covariance structure that I've constructed when running publication bias analysis, for example, when using fsn() function or modified egger's regression test (looking at intercept term of residual ~ precision meta-regression using rma.mv). I had no luck so far finding information on this, and I would appreciate if you have any suggestions related to this

Thank you for all of your valuable helps!
Best regards,
JU
________________________________
From: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) <wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:59 AM
To: Ju Lee <juhyung2 using stanford.edu>; r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Subject: RE: Covariance-variance matrix when studies share multiple treatment x control comparison

Hi Ju,

The equation for the covariances applies to the standardized mean difference for two independent groups (so, what one could call 'classical' Cohen's d or Hedges' g if one uses the bias correction). It does not apply to other types of standardized mean differences, such as those for dependent/paired groups. Also, the equation assumes that the pooled variance 'sdp' (that is used for computing pairwise SMDs, such as (m1 - m3) / sdp and (m2 - m3) / sdp for three groups, with group 3 being the reference group) has been computed by pooling the SDs of all three groups. Doing so isn't standard practice and takes some extra effort to implement.

Just a sidenote: When pasting tables like this, please use a fixed width font (and don't use tabs). Without that, the formating is all off and makes the table hard to read.

Even study 1 is much more complicated. It seems that rows 1 and 2 share a common group (mc=0.68 with nc=6). Then rows 3 and 4 share a common group (mt=0.84 with nt=9). But rows 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 also share a common group each. So, the var-cov matrix for this study would look like this:

[ 0.370 cov12     0 cov14 ]
[       0.278 cov23     0 ]
[             0.234 cov34 ]
[                   0.291 ]

In study 2, it would be:

[ 0.056 cov12     0 ]
[       0.070 cov23 ]
[             0.052 ]

Leaving aside the issue of whether SDs are getting pooled across all groups within a study or not, the covariance terms should be computable with the equation (19.19) from Gleser and Olkin (2009). I am not 100% sure though if the fact that the reference group is sometimes T and sometimes C matters. In any case, you should treat the group (whether it is actually a 'treatment' or a 'control' group as the 'control' group in equation (19.19)).

As for your ID variable and how to code it -- a single ID variable cannot capture these complexities. You will need 2 ID variables, indicating which group is the T and which is the C group. So, for study 1, it would be:

Study   mt      mc      nt      nc      TID CID    hedges.d    var
1       0.92    0.68    6       6       1   3      0.937       0.370
1       0.69    0.68    9       6       2   3      0.038       0.278
1       0.84    0.69    9       9       4   2      0.659       0.234
1       0.84    0.92    9       6       4   1     -0.623      0.291