[R-meta] Moderator analysis test of residual heterogeneity confusion

Wed Sep 18 18:50:05 CEST 2019

Dear Mia,

Your screenshots did not come through properly. Note that this a text-only mailing list, so please post output, not screenshots. Also, please post in plain text -- not rich text format or HTML.

From: R-sig-meta-analysis [mailto:r-sig-meta-analysis-bounces using r-project.org] On Behalf Of Mia Daucourt
Sent: Wednesday, 18 September, 2019 18:24
To: r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org
Subject: [R-meta] Moderator analysis test of residual heterogeneity confusion

Good afternoon,

I am using the metafor package to run a multilevel correlated effects model. For moderator analyses, I am running them one at a time, to see how much heterogeneity each accounst for, and then I ran model with all mods to see how much variance is left to be explained they're combined.

I have an odd a situation where there is no significant residual variance with just an individual moderator in the model, but then for a set of moderators (that includes that moderator) there is significant residual variance. How can this be?

Maybe these screenshots can help...
Single moderator results:
Moderator analysis test of residual heterogeneity confusion

All mods model results:

Thank you for your help!

My best,

Mia