[R-meta] meta-analysis vs. re-analysis

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Sep 8 03:20:30 CEST 2019

Elli,

These are very interesting questions. You will find relevant references using the terms “individual participant data meta-analysis” (e.g. Riley, Lambert, & Abo-Zaid, 2010, https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/25674217.pdf) and “integrative data analysis” (Curran & Hussong, 2009,
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2777640/). A recent review is by Debray and colleagues (2015, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jrsm.1160).

Regarding whether you need to conduct sensitivity analysis or consider the potential for publication bias, I would argue that these remain important even though you have analyzed the individual-level data. Just having access to the IPD does not alleviate the possibility that the samples you have identified might not represent the full body of relevant research conducted on your topic. One paper that discusses these issues is Ahmed, Sutton, & Riley (2012; https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d7762).

James