[R-meta] Calculating SMD from posttest only - is this possible?

P. Roberto Bakker robertob@kker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Oct 3 18:54:28 CEST 2019

Hi everybody

I am performing a meta-analysis (with 'metafor' R-project) as described by
Becker (1988), and I compute the standardized mean change for a treatment
and control group.

I compute a (standardized) effect size measure for pretest posttest control
group designs, where the characteristic, response, or dependent variable
assessed in the individual studies is a quantitative variable (Morris 2008).

Now, two new articles are published recently with only the posttests.

Question: can SMDs still be calculated with only the posttest (and sd) of
treatment and control groups?

Thank you in advance, Roberto