[R-meta] meta-analysis with proportion data and nested random terms

Mon May 20 19:03:51 CEST 2019

Hi Jens,

I keep coming back to this question (also saw it on SE) thinking I am going to answer it but then I kinda give up (because thinking this through all the way might take a lot of time). However, instead of leaving you completely hanging here, some thoughts.

You have values between 0 and 1 that are not binomial proportions. So it seems intuitive to think of them as beta distributed. But just because something falls between 0 and 1 doesn't imply a beta distribution is appropriate. Still might be a sensible approximation.

Alternatively, you could consider applying a logit transformation to those proportions (which should help to make the assumption of roughly normal sampling distributions more reasonable) and analyze them using a 'standard' model. For example:

library(metafor)

dat <- read.table("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JensJoschi/variability_timing/master/tempdata.txt", header=TRUE)

res <- rma.mv(yi ~ p, vi, random = ~ 1 | order/spec/pop, data=dat)
res
plot(rstandard(res)$z, ylim=c(-3,3), pch=19)

Yeah, that looks pretty screwy. So:

dat$yti <- transf.logit(dat$yi)
dat$vti <- dat$vi / (dat$yi * (1 - dat$yi))^2

res <- rma.mv(yti ~ p, vti, random = ~ 1 | order/spec/pop, data=dat)
res
plot(rstandard(res)$z, ylim=c(-3,3), pch=19)

Much better. Still a bit of a cluster of points at the top right in the plot of the standardized residuals, but I wouldn't lose sleep over that. I would be more worried about that one data point at the bottom right being influential:

plot(dat$p, dat$yti, pch=19)

but one can do sensitivity analyses for that.

If you really want to go with beta regression, then I am trying to wrap my head around the meaning of those variances. The mean and variance of beta distributed values are linked, so I don't know what it even means if we try to fix the variances and I don't know what glmmTMB actually does if you specify 'weights' with family=beta_family(). Maybe these are then multiplative factors for the variances (which in turn are a function of the means). Leaving 'dispformula = ~1' at the default:

library(glmmTMB)

tmp <- glmmTMB(yi ~ p + (1|order/spec/pop), weights = vi, data=dat, family=beta_family())
summary(tmp)

This gives rather different results (even though the proportions are also analyzed on the logit scale). Especially the estimated variance components are totally different. Leaving out the variances in both models gives more similar results:

res <- rma.mv(yti ~ p, 0, random = ~ 1 | order/spec/pop, data=dat)
res
tmp <- glmmTMB(yi ~ p + (1|order/spec/pop), data=dat, family=beta_family())
summary(tmp)

Anyway, I don't really have a good suggestions on how to do this 'properly' with beta regression, but at least the 'standard' approach above (with logit-transformed proportions) should give you results that might be sensible.