[R-meta] How to do a graph with all variables and interactions

Mon May 20 17:49:36 CEST 2019

Dear Rafael,

I am not sure what you are asking in the first part. As you have illustrated, one could plot predicted values (with corresponding CIs) in a forest plot, although the last predicted value is a bit strange. Maybe you meant (i.e., the combination of B and D):

preds=predict(res,newmods=rbind(c(0,0,0),c(1,0,0),c(0,1,0),c(1,1,1)))

You can also get the same with:

res <- rma.mv(yi, vi, mods=~var1:var2-1, random=list(~1|school,~1|year), data=dat)
forest(coef(res), diag(vcov(res)), slab=names(coef(res)))

So, in what sense is this not satisfactory for your actual purposes?

As for the second question:

You could examine the data for potential outliers / influential cases with rstudent() and cooks.distance() at various levels (i.e., using the 'cluster' argument). So:

rstudent(res)
rstudent(res, cluster=dat$study)
rstudent(res, cluster=dat$animal)

and the same with cooks.distance().

There isn't a strict cutoff for the Cook's distances. I would just plot them and see if there are 'spikes'. So, using the earlier example:

sav <- cooks.distance(res)
plot(sav, type="o")

# shows some spikes; probably multiple estimates from the same district that are influential:

sav <- cooks.distance(res, cluster=dat$district)
plot(sav, type="o")