[R-meta] Meta-analysis with missing data

Gabriele Midolo g@br|e|e@m|do|o @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Mar 29 15:02:35 CET 2019

Dear Mekides,

I think this is a common issue in agricultural and ecological
meta-analyses. But I am not sure the solution to your problem depends on
metafor. However, based on my experience, there are few options to be
considered (with the following order): 1) to contact the authors of the
primary studies and ask them to provide the SD of the means; 2) to compute
the missing SD via the ‘impute_SD’ function of the R package metagear
(Lajeunesse, 2016), in case few values are missing; 3) you might consider
to perform an "unweighed meta-analysis" including also the studies without
SD to compare results with a meta-analysis including studies with available
SD only? See an example in e.g. of Humbert et al. 2016 Global Change
Biology, 22(1), 110-120. (Figure 1).

Hope this helps,
Gabriele.