[R-meta] Impact of very high tau-square value.

Gerta Ruecker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Wed Jun 26 11:27:19 CEST 2019

Dear Jide,

in principle, tau -squared can take every non-negative value. Note that
tau is the standard deviation of the random effects. That is, it is
measured on the same scale as the outcome and has the same dimension.
That is, if you measure blood pressure, it is on the scale of blood
pressure, mmHg; if you measure body weight, it is on the scale of body
weight, i.e. kg. There is no other general rule.

If you look at a dimensionless outcome (e.g., (log) odds ratio or
standardized mean difference), the same holds: tau is on the log odds
scale or on the normal scale, respectively.

Thus the meaning of your values depends on what you are measuring.

See the attached paper, page 7.

Best,

Gerta