[R-meta] Random vs. Fixed Effects model in metafor with multiple effect sizes per study

Thu Jul 18 14:40:06 CEST 2019

Hi Mia,

1) I cannot answer that question in general, except to say: It depends. Without more information, I would recommend to use an appropriate random-effects model for your data.

2) While conceptually one could argue that, in the absence of heterogeneity, it doesn't make sense to run a moderator analysis, I would still do so (at least as long as the moderator analysis is pre-planned). The test for heterogeneity may not be significant due to low power, but when testing a specific moderator, one might still find that it is relevant. Consider this example:

set.seed(1236)

k <- 15
vi <- runif(k, .001, .50)
xi <- sample(0:5, k, replace=TRUE)
yi <- rnorm(k, 0.1 * xi, sqrt(vi)) # xi is a true moderator

rma(yi, vi) # test for heterogeneity is not significant (p = 0.25)
rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ xi) # test of moderator is significant (p = .005)