[R-meta] Transformation of meta-regression coefficients to ORs

Thu Jul 18 13:10:04 CEST 2019

Just as a (late) follow-up:

If you are meta-analyzing ORs and then fit a meta-regression model, the coefficients cannot be converted to ORs (one can compute predicted ORs, but that's something different). The coefficients can be converted to ratios of ORs (by exponentiation, as illustrated in my previous answer) and that is something that people do occasionally do.

From: dirk.richter using upd.unibe.ch [mailto:dirk.richter using upd.unibe.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, 03 July, 2019 17:53
To: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP); r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org
Subject: AW: [R-meta] Transformation of meta-regression coefficients to ORs

Dear Wolfgang,

It is a log OR effect size. As we had univariate ORs in our paper for all
potential moderators and then reported the coefficients of the multivariate
regression analysis, the reviewer requested to make the effect sizes
comparable. Is there any specific reason why multivariate regression
analyses usually do not report ORs or RRs but betas? Wouldn't that help to a
better understanding and interpretation?

Anyway, perfect answer, the code worked smoothly and correctly. Many thanks
once again!

Best wishes from Switzerland,
Dirk