[R-meta] Multilevel random effects structure in rma.mv for MetaLab

Thu Jul 18 13:04:46 CEST 2019

Hi Sho, Hi Christina,

If I understand the structure correctly, you have studies that may contain one or multiple participant groups and each participant group may contribute one or multiple effect sizes. So:

study  group  effectid  d
-------------------------
1      1      1         .
1      1      2         .
2      1      3         .
3      1      4         .
3      1      5         .
3      2      6         .
3      2      7         .

so in study 1, there is one group contributing two effect sizes, in study 2 there is one group contributing a single effect size, and in study 3 there are two groups, each contributing two effect sizes.

I am a bit confused by your use of "participant". I interpreted this above as meaning groups of participants, but maybe I am misunderstanding and you have effect sizes on single participants (but then I am not sure how you are computing a standardized mean difference on a single subject, unless you are computing a d-like measure for single subject designs). And since you mentioned working with standardized mean differences, I interpret this as indicating that a group of participants actually consists of two groups, for two different treatments, but again, I may be misunderstanding you.

Then one basic structure would be:

res1 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, random = ~ 1 | study/group/effectid, data=dat)

For groups contributing multiple effects, the sampling errors are correlated, so technically one would want to account for this by computing the covariances and including them in the V matrix, but if this is not possible, then the approach above at least accounts for the clustering through the random effects structure. Using cluster-robust inferences methods after fitting such a model would then be a good sensitivity check.

The same model as above can be fitted with:

res2 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, random = list(~ factor(group) | study, ~ 1 | effectid), data=dat)

or with:

dat$study.group <- paste(dat$study, dat$group)
res3 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, random = list(~ 1 | study, ~ factor(effectid) | study.group), data=dat)

These are all equivalent models, just parameterized differently. And to answer one of your question, no, the order of the elements in the list does not matter.

You didn't define what "paper.participant" is supposed to stand for, but I assume you mean such a construction as above. But given the data structure above,

random = list(~ participant | paper, ~ unique_row | paper.participant)

would be overparameterized and

random = list(~ participant | paper, ~ 1 | paper)

doesn't account for heterogeneity at the lowest level, plus you would essentially be adding random effects twice at the paper level, so that's not a good idea.

I am not sure if this really helps.