[R-meta] It is possible to calculate the Hazzard Ratio and 95% CI on different reference groups from summary available data?

Gerta Ruecker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Tue Jul 2 20:04:48 CEST 2019

Dear Mario,

I think this is not possible without further assumptions. You have not
enough information. Even if we assume that all arms in the study are of
equal size, the only thing we roughly know is that the hazard ratio
between arm 3 and the arm mixed of 1 and 2 is something like

hr21 <- 1.89
hr31 <- 3.03
u21 <- 3.33
l21 <- 1.09
u31 <- 5.56
l31 <- 1.67

d21 <- log(hr21)
d31 <- log(hr31)
s21 <- (log(u21) - log(l21))/2/1.96
s31 <- (log(u31) - log(l31))/2/1.96

d12.3 <- d31 - d21/2 # assumes that arm 1 and arm 2 have equal
information size
hr12.3 <- exp(d12.3)
hr12.3               # about 2.2

However, we do not know the covariance between the log hazard ratios
log(hr21) and log(hr31) which we would need to estimate the standard
error for this hazard ratio. This covariance is not zero because these
HRs are dependent, as both involve arm 1.

The problem is the same as when having a triangle with two side lengths
known, but we do not know the angle between the known sides. Then we
cannot make inference about the third side.

Best,

Gerta