[R-meta] Influential case diagnostics in a multivariate multilevel meta-analysis in metafor

Wed Jan 16 15:02:53 CET 2019

Dear Yogev,

Since you use 'cluster=StudyID', cooks.distance() is doing 311 model fits. But you use 'reestimate=FALSE', which should speed things up a lot. Also, 'sparse=TRUE' probably makes a lot of sense here, since the marginal var-cov structure is probably quite sparse. So, for the most part, you are already using features that should help to speed things up.

But a few things:

1) You used 'cluster = StudyID', but unless you used attach(Data) or have 'StudyID' as a separate object in your workspace, this should not work. It should be 'cluster = Data$StudyID'.

2) If you use 'parallel="snow"', then no progress bar will be shown, so I wonder how you got the '6%' then. Or did you run this once without 'parallel="snow"'?

3) If you use 'parallel="snow"', then this won't give you any speed increase unless you actually make use of multiple cores. You can do this with the 'ncpus' argument. But first check how many cores you actually have available with parallel::detectCores() Note that this also counts 'logical' cores. If you are on MacOS or Windows, then detectCores(logical=FALSE) is a better indicator of how many cores to specify under 'ncpus'.