[R-meta] Random Effect for Continuous Moderator in Three-Level Meta-Analysis

Andrew Loignon @loignon @ending from l@u@edu
Thu Jan 10 21:07:58 CET 2019

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible to specify a random effect for a continuous moderator in a multi-level meta-analysis using metafor. When I try to estimate a model, like the one below (using the Konstantopoulos data) I receive an error:

m2.ml <- rma.mv(yi, vi,
                random = ~ I(year-1990.591)| district,
                method="ML",
                digits = 3,
                data=dat.konstantopoulos2011)

Here's the error message:

Error: Inner variable in '~ inner | outer' term must be a factor or character variable when 'struct="CS"'.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew C. Loignon
Assistant Professor
2716 Business Education Complex
Rucks Department of Management
E. J. Ourso College of Business
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Email: aloignon using lsu.edu<mailto:aloignon using lsu.edu>
Phone: 225-578-6148