[R-meta] Network meta-analysis with randomized and non-randomized studies in metafor

Chris Rose m@|||ng@||@t@ @end|ng |rom y@|etown@|o
Wed Feb 13 11:28:23 CET 2019

Hi Wolfgang

A couple of months ago you provided some help with a network meta-analysis that adjusts for possible differences between randomised and non-randomised studies (for which, thanks again). I’m now at the stage of reporting results, and would like to provide prediction intervals. I’m aware of the predict.rma function, but I’m struggling to get it to work!

Taking an example from your original reply (based on the Hasselblad 1998 data, to which you added a study type factor [called type] to identify randomised [“RS”] vs nonrandomised [“NRS”] studies), one of the models you suggested was:

res <- rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ trt + type, random = list(~ type | study, ~ type | id), struct=c("DIAG","DIAG"), data=dat)

I can run predict(res) and see predictions for each arm of each study (i.e., each row of the original data frame, dat). This works fine.

However, I want to make predictions for specific values of the trt and type variables. I have tried:

predict(res, newmods = c(trt = "trt self_help", type = "RS”))

and

predict(res, newmods = c(trt = "trt self_help", type = "RS"), tau2.levels = "RS", gamma2.levels = "RS”)

and

predict(res, newmods = c(trt = " self_help", type = "RS"), tau2.levels = "RS", gamma2.levels = "RS”)
# Note the space at the start of " self_help”.

and

predict(res, newmods = res$X) # Here I’m trying to use the same dummy coding as rma.mv.

But these all give the error:

Error in dimnames(x) <- dn :
  length of 'dimnames' [2] not equal to array extent

I have read the documentation for the predict.rma function, but I must be misunderstanding a key piece of information (or missing something very obvious and stupid!). I am aware that newmods should be a matrix, and have tried various versions of the above by constructing matrices. I have also searched the web and this list, but have not found something that has helped.

Thanks very much in advance,

— Chris