[R-meta] robust variance estimator in meta-analyses of rare events (proportions)

Röver, Christian chri@ti@n@roever @ending from med@uni-goettingen@de
Sat Sep 29 13:02:50 CEST 2018

Hi Pier-Alex,

since exact Likelihood-based methods avoiding continuity corrections
and approximations often run into numerical problems with zero event-
counts (see e.g. https://arxiv.org/abs/1807.09037), another option may
be to switch to a Bayesian approach. There is software available (also
implementing "exact" binomial likelihoods instead of normal
approximations), and priors distributions may also be readily
motivated; see e.g. here: https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.04407.

Cheers,

Christian Röver