[R-meta] Inflated confidence intervals

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Tue Sep 18 22:22:03 CEST 2018

Dear Wasim,

you subscribed with address w.iqbal using ncl.ac.uk but you are posting from w.iqbal using newcastle.ac.uk. So, based on the address you are using for posting, you are not subscribed and hence the admins must approve each of your posts manually (which is a bit tedious). Please subscribe with the address that you are actually using for posting.

Back to the topic of your posts. Adding together all coefficients does not give you an 'adjusted intercept'. Let's consider a simpler example with two outcomes and use a dataset that comes with the metafor package, so we can actually run analyses and compare results. I'll use the Berkey et al. (1998) dataset for this; see help(dat.berkey1998).

### load data
dat <- get(data(dat.berkey1998))

### univariate model for outcome AL
rma(yi, vi, data=dat, subset=outcome=="AL")

### relevant part of the results
# estimate      se     zval    pval    ci.lb    ci.ub
#  -0.3457  0.0885  -3.9058  <.0001  -0.5191  -0.1722  ***

### univariate model for outcome PD
rma(yi, vi, data=dat, subset=outcome=="PD")

### relevant part of the results
# estimate      se    zval    pval   ci.lb   ci.ub
#   0.3606  0.0592  6.0905  <.0001  0.2445  0.4766  ***

# multivariate model
V <- lapply(split(dat[,c("v1i", "v2i")], dat$trial), as.matrix)
V <- bldiag(V)
res <- rma.mv(yi, V, mods = ~ outcome, random = ~ outcome | trial, struct="UN", data=dat)
res

### relevant part of the results
#            estimate      se     zval    pval    ci.lb    ci.ub
# intrcpt     -0.3392  0.0879  -3.8589  0.0001  -0.5115  -0.1669  ***
# outcomePD    0.6926  0.0744   9.3120  <.0001   0.5469   0.8384  ***

### compute 'intrcpt + outcomePD'
predict(res, 1)

### output
#    pred     se  ci.lb  ci.ub cr.lb cr.ub tau2.level
#  0.3534 0.0588 0.2381 0.4688    NA    NA         NA

So, in the multivariate model, the intercept corresponds to the estimate for outcome AL and the coefficient for outcomePD is the difference between outcome PD and outcome AL. What you are essentially doing is 'intrcpt + outcomePD' (i.e., adding all coefficients), which in this case gives the estimate for outcome PD. This is *not* the estimate for outcome AL that is somehow adjusted for outcome PD.

You are working with three outcomes, but the same applies. Adding all coefficients does not give you an 'adjusted intercept'.