[R-meta] comparing rma to lm

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Sep 13 02:20:52 CEST 2018

Tom,

I would offer two potential explanations for why your results differ in
using rma as oppose to lm---one good and the other potentially problematic.
The good possibility is that meta-analytic models might be giving you
improved precision. Meta-regression is just weighted least squares
regression, where the weights are chosen to optimize the use of information
from larger and smaller studies/samples. If the studies in your analysis
vary widely in size/precision, then maybe meta-regression is making more
efficient use of the data, and thus leading to smaller SEs (and more
statistically significant results). To see whether this is the case:
compare the SEs from rma to the SEs from lm (I would suggest using robust
SEs from the sandwich package for the latter).

The bad possibility is that the default methods for calculating hypothesis
tests and confidence intervals in rma are based on large-sample
approximations, whereas the defaults with lm use methods (t-tests rather
than z-tests) that are more accurate when the number of studies is small.
If this is what makes the difference, then the extra-significant results
from rma could be spurious. Using the Knapp-Hartung correction (test =
"knha") will improve the small-sample calibration of the meta-analysis
tests. You could try turning that on to see if it makes a difference.

Hook 'em,
James