[R-meta] Combining studies reporting effects at different level of analysis/aggregation

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Thu Oct 11 19:20:11 CEST 2018

Please always cc the mailing list when replying.

Yes, you could also 'guestimate' the ICC and use that (and then do a sensitivity analysis). Even if you do the correction, I would still recommend to include study type as a moderator in the analyses.

From: F S [mailto:crpt.fs using gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 11 October, 2018 18:47
To: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP)
Subject: Re: [R-meta] Combining studies reporting effects at different level of analysis/aggregation

Hello Wolfgang,

Thank you for your helpful answer. I'm afraid none of the studies in question report the ICC, so I guess a precise correction for the inflated d won't be possible. However, would it be sensible to instead impute a value for rho and perform the adjustment for the design effect using that value? Ideally, one would impute ICC values lifted from studies with a similar type of aggregation and similar measures, but I suppose one could also perform the correction for a range of plausible values of rho and evaluate the impact on the overall results via sensitivity analysis. What do you think?

Thank you very much,
Fabian