[R-meta] Random-effects meta-analyses with inverse-variance weights cannot include studies with sample sizes of two?

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Fri Nov 9 14:33:08 CET 2018

I see. This assumes independence between trials and is typically used when measuring a dichotomous outcome on N different subjects. But here it seems like a single subject went through N different trials. In that case, the independence assumption seems tenuous.

How does this relate to the two subjects you talked about earlier? Or is X based on the sum of two subjects?

Also, I don't see how you then derived the equation for the variance of z/sqrt(N). You wrote:

Variance = Sqr(1/(1-q)*(1-1/(1-q))/N

But let's go through this step-by-step:

Leaving aside the independence issue, we assume (for large enough N):

p ~ N(π, π(1-π)/N)

Then we compute:

z = (p - π₀) / sqrt(π₀(1-π₀)/N)

Under H0: π = π₀, it is easy to see that z ~ N(0,1), so z/sqrt(N) ~ N(0, 1/N).

But if H0 is not true, then some simple algebra shows:

Var(z) = π(1-π) / (π₀(1-π₀))

and hence Var(z/sqrt(N)) = π(1-π) / (N * π₀(1-π₀)), which we could estimate with:

Var(z/sqrt(N)) = p(1-p) / (N * π₀(1-π₀)).