[R-meta] Questions about Omnibus tests

Rafael Rios bior@f@elrm @ending from gm@il@com
Sun Nov 4 00:31:45 CET 2018

Dear Wolfgang,

Could you please help me again with new questions?

Should I build model1 rather than model2 to control for the dependency
among studyID and effectsizeID?

model1=rma.mv(zf, vzf, mods=~mate_choice,
random=list(~1|studyID/effectsizeID, ~1|species1), data = h_mc)
model2=rma.mv(zf, vzf, mods=~mate_choice, random=list(~1|effectsizeID,
~1|studyID, ~1|species1), data = h_mc)

I used your script to calculate I² and found a high heterogeneity in my
model (86.63%).
#I²: http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:i2_multilevel_multivariate
W <- diag(1/h_mc$vzf)
X <- model.matrix(model1)
P <- W - W %*% X %*% solve(t(X) %*% W %*% X) %*% t(X) %*% W
100 * sum(meta$sigma2) / (sum(meta$sigma2) + (meta$k-meta$p)/sum(diag(P)))

Do you have suggestions on how to handle with high heterogeneity among
effect sizes? How may I conduct sensitivity tests in a multilevel
meta-analysis using metafor? I identified (using a funnel plot) and removed
outliers to reduce the heterogeneity and redo the model. Is this approach
suitable to evaluate potential bias in results? Or are there better
alternatives?

Best wishes,

Rafael.

Dr. Rafael Rios Moura
*scientia amabilis*

Behavioral Ecologist, PhD
Postdoctoral Researcher
Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil

Currículo Lattes: http://lattes.cnpq.br/4264357546465157
ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7911-4734
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rafael_Rios_Moura2