[R-meta] Variance inflation factors (VIF) calculations applicable to a rma.mv model

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Thu May 31 22:10:36 CEST 2018

Hi Roger,

I do not know what the theoretical reasoning is behind the vif.mer() function, but the same computations can be easily done with 'rma.mv' objects.

v <- vcov(model19)
v <- v[-1,-1] # remove the row/column corresponding to the intercept
d <- diag(v)^0.5
v <- diag(solve(v/(d %o% d)))

I did a bit of searching and this appears to be based on the vif() function in the 'rms' package. It states that this "Computes variance inflation factors from the covariance matrix of parameter estimates, using the method of Davis et al. (1986), which is based on the correlation matrix from the information matrix." The reference for this is:

Davis CE, Hyde JE, Bangdiwala SI, Nelson JJ: An example of dependencies among variables in a conditional logistic regression. In Modern Statistical Methods in Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Eds SH Moolgavkar and RL Prentice, pp. 140–147. New York: Wiley; 1986.

I do not have this book, so I cannot look up what the logic is behind this method. But computing it is easy.