[R-meta] How to conduct a meta-analysis on multiple-treatment studies with a repeated measure designs?

Koenraad van Meerbeek koenr@@d@v@nmeerbeek @ending from bio@@@u@dk
Fri May 18 15:55:20 CEST 2018

Dear all,

The units of analysis stay the same across the years, so we´ll definitely want to add this to the model. We already succeeded in doing the analysis according to Gabriele´s suggestions. I will have a look at those new examples you mentioned.

Thanks for all the help.

Koenraad

-----Original Message-----
From: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) <wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl>
Sent: vrijdag 18 mei 2018 15:47
To: r-sig-meta-analysis at r-project.org
Cc: Koenraad van Meerbeek <koenraad.vanmeerbeek at bios.au.dk>; Gabriele Midolo <gabriele.midolo at gmail.com>
Subject: RE: [R-meta] How to conduct a meta-analysis on multiple-treatment studies with a repeated measure designs?

Hi Koenraad,

With this type of data structure, you ideally would not just account for the covariances in the sampling errors due to repeated use of the control group information, but also due to measurements taken over multiple years. The former induces covariance for sure. Whether the latter is also an issue for your data is hard to say without knowing more about what you are studying. For example, if I measure the same patients multiple times, then these measurements will tend to be correlated, which in turn induces correlation between effect size measures computed with these measurements. But it sounds like you are in ecology, in which case you are probably taking rather different types of measurements. If the units of analysis are actually different across the years, then there might not be covariance in the sampling errors over time after all. However, one would still want to allow for covariance in the underlying true effects. This can be accomplished by adding appropriate random effects to the model. As Gabriele mentioned, for example something like 'random = ~ Study / Year / ID' (where ID is just a unique value for each row in the dataset). One could also do fancier things allowing for autocorrelation in the random effects over time, since one commonly sees decaying correlation as the time difference increases. In rma.mv(), there are the "AR", "HAR", and "CAR" structures for this purpose. Examples based on this can be found under help(dat.fine1993) and help(dat.ishak2007). There is also:

Musekiwa, A., Manda, S. O., Mwambi, H. G., & Chen, D. G. (2016). Meta-analysis of effect sizes reported at multiple time points using general linear mixed model. PLOS ONE, 11(10), e0164898.

which walks you through these types of models.