[R-meta] Effect coding in metafor

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Mar 1 18:35:16 CET 2018

If you think effect coding gives you what you need, then use that. I guess you are thinking of contr.sum. Just set:

constrast(dat$factor) <- contr.sum

For a factor with two levels, this is the same as

constrast(dat$factor) <- c(1,-1)

In your original post you said that this 'did not work', but it does for me:

dat <- get(data(dat.bcg))
dat <- escalc(measure="RR", ai=tpos, bi=tneg, ci=cpos, di=cneg, data=dat.bcg)
dat$random <- factor(ifelse(dat$alloc == "random", 1, 0))
res <- rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ random, data=dat)
res
model.matrix(res)
contrasts(dat$random) <- contr.sum