[R-meta] Categorical mixed effect models and interpretation of results

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @ending from gm@il@com
Tue Jun 19 16:09:51 CEST 2018

Here's a little bit of a different perspective on the need for species
random effects in the model. I would argue that the question of whether or
not to include species random effects in the model should be determined by
the goal of the synthesis.

On the one hand, if the goal is to draw generalizations across a population
of species, and if it is reasonable to treat the 12 observed species as a
sample from the population, then it would be appropriate to include random
effects for species (or more generally, to start modeling the species
effects using phylogenetic methods as Wolfgang suggested).

On the other hand, if the 12 observed species constitute the full relevant
population, or if inter-species variation is not of interest for the goals
of the synthesis, or if one is content to restrict generalization to the
observed species, then species random effects would not be appropriate.
(Instead, one could simply treat species as a categorical covariate.)