[R-meta] effect size estimates regardless of direction

Dave Daversa dd@ver@@ @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Jun 13 16:57:55 CEST 2018

Very nice paper in Biological reviews, Daniel.  The types of analyses I am
doing are very similar, so that will be a good reference.

In general, I am still confused about how to obtain information other than
effect magnitudes from the analyze-then-transform method, because the
models used for the approach use the raw means as the response.  So, other
information,  such as variance estimation and the importance of various
moderators in explaining variance, can not be obtained from the model
outputs.

Wolfgang, with your suggestion to apply a folded normal distribution to the
means and obtaining profile likelihood CI's, I presume you were envisioning
the absolute effect sizes being used as the response (yi) in the models?
That would be more representative of Morrisey's "transform-then-analyse"
method, then?  Can a folded normal distribution be specified in rma.mv
models?

And to follow up again on previous points:

Regarding question 1:  To deal with estimation of variance for moderator
levels, I am not sure how to explicitly model the variance.  Doing a subset
analysis sounds straightforward enough, but I am keen to explore the other
option as well.   Any tips, Daniel?

Regarding question 2:  I am only dealing with categorical moderators.  I
was looking at the importance of various moderators in explaining effect
sizes, using anova type analyses described here
<http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:berkey1995>.  The
absolute effects among different moderator levels is what I am truly
interested in, so perhaps this analysis isn't necessary.

3.  I noticed that you used  the MCMCglmm package to run your bayesian
models.  I have not used that package but am happy to have a look.
I tried to find the code for Noble et al. 2018, to no avail.  If it is open
access, let me know where I can find it. That would serve as a nice guide
to navigate that package.