[R-meta] Question Re: CI in metafor

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Tue Jun 5 11:29:30 CEST 2018

Dear Caitlin,

Please cc the mailing list.

I would say this is a false dichotomy. Take a standard RE model. By default, the SE of mu-hat in metafor is computed with:

SE(mu-hat) = sqrt(1/sum(wi))

where wi = 1/(vi + tau^2).

So the SE is not just computed based on sampling error variance (vi), but also taking the between-study heterogeneity into consideration (tau^2).

In the 'barebones' H&S method (with correlations), the SE is computed with:

SE(mu-hat) = sqrt(sum(ni*(ri - mu-hat)^2)/(sum(ni) * k))

where mu-hat = sum(ni*ri)/sum(ni). The variability of the ri values around mu-hat is a function of the sampling variances and the between-study heterogeneity, so this formula also takes these two components into consideration.

So, conceptually, both equations are doing the same thing.

From: Caitlin Porter [mailto:cporter2 using central.uh.edu]
Sent: Saturday, 02 June, 2018 0:26
To: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP)
Subject: Re: [R-meta] Question Re: CI in metafor

Thank you for your reply! And thank you for clarifying that the HS terminology is different from statisticians/methodologists' terminology.

To clarify, my understanding is that HS recommend creating CIs using the standard error based on the standard deviation of corrected effect sizes across studies (divided by the square root of the number of studies), whereas the approach taken in metafor creates CIs using the standard error based on the standard deviation of sampling error variance across studies (divided by the square root of the number of studies). I hope this doesn't sound too convoluted...