[R-meta] Meta-analysis controlling for a moderator

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Mon Jul 9 18:41:14 CEST 2018

Dear Caroline,

First of all, thank you for putting your question in the context of a reproducible example.

Consider what the model with 'mods = ~ ablat' means. In essence, it says that the average effect is a function of 'ablat'. So, there is no longer 'the' average effect -- it depends on 'ablat'. Therefore, one could argue that your goal cannot be achieved. One can only test whether the average effect is significantly different from zero for a particular value of 'ablat'. For example:

anova(res, L = c(1, 20))

tests whether the average effect is significantly different from 0 at 20 degrees.

A concept you may have come across is the idea of a 'marginal mean'. In the context of the present example, this would be the predicted average effect when setting the predictor equal to its average. So, in essence:

anova(res, L = c(1, mean(dat$ablat)))

Some might see this as the estimated average effect when controlling for the predictor. I am personally not too crazy about this interpretation, because it is really the estimated average effect at 33.46 degrees (the average) and conceptually no different than a prediction at 20 or 40 degrees. In other words, one cannot 'control away' the influence of 'ablat'. At least, I hope this is some food for thought.