[R-meta] [metafor package] Metaanalysis using lmer.

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Mon Jul 2 16:03:49 CEST 2018

Dear Marcel,

I was in the process of writing when Michael's response arrived. I'll just add my answer to his.

First of all, the subject is a bit misleading -- you are asking about the lme4 package, not metafor.

I do not know what 'yi' stands for, but I wonder how appropriate the use of lmer() is for analyzing your data. This may be worth reading:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:rma_vs_lm_lme_lmer

But leaving this aside, your model seems rather overparameterized. For example, for "Lead_construct" there are only two levels. Trying to estimate intercept and slope variances over these two levels is asking a bit much.

Also, if either the intercept or slope variance is estimated to be close to 0, the value of the correlation is irrelevant -- the correlation between a variable and something that appears to be constant is in essence arbitrary. But before I would worry about this, I think you first need to consider simplifying your model.