[R-meta] Post-hoc weighted analysis based on number of observations

Cesar Terrer Moreno cesar.terrer at me.com
Tue Jan 30 18:43:31 CET 2018

Dear Wolfgang,

I have the feeling that spatial uncertainty would help defining uncertainty based on the geographical distance among the coordinates of the individual locations of the studies in the dataset.

However, in this case I think a simpler approach could suffice. For this particular matter, we could assume that a good representation of the different “behaviours” of the system can be achieved through sampling intensively all types of biomes on Earth (e.g. grasslands, tropical forests, temperate forests, boreal forests), thus biomes as the unit of variability among studies.

In this case, ‘biome’ is not a significantly important predictor, but this could be just the result of the low sample size in some biomes (or not). In any case, we have to somehow account for the low sample size in some biomes, allowing us to report the effect size is poorly sampled biomes yet with a very large uncertainty. This distinction between geographical uncertainty and biome representation is important, because with biome as a driver of uncertainty we can assume that e.g. uncertainty in a grassland in China should be low despite no sampling in Chinese grasslands, just because there are many other studies with grasslands in Europe, Australia and US. However, uncertainty in a tropical forest in Brazil should be large because there are very few tropical forests in the dataset, even if there are many grassland studies in Brazil in the dataset. This is the type of biome-driven uncertainty we need.

Having said that, I don’t know how to account for this biome-driven uncertainty.

I have tried to include ‘Biome’ as a random effect in the model:

meta <- rma.mv(es, var, data=df, method="ML", random= ~1|Biome, mods= ~ 1 + precipitation + temperature)

As I have data for temperature, precipitation, and biome type for virtually all points on Earth, I have upscaled this effect and standard error (SE) globally, creating a gridded map of the effect and SE:

pred <- predict(meta, newmods = cbind(s.df$precipitation, s.df$temperature),
random= ~1|s.df$Biome)

SEraster <- rasterFromXYZ(pred[,c("x", "y", "se")],crs="+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84 +no_defs +ellps=WGS84 +towgs84=0,0,0”) # x and y are the coordinates in each cell

However, the resulting raster of the SE of the effect is quite similar to the raster obtained with the model without the random effect, thus with low SE even in biomes that are poorly sampled (e.g. tropical forests). Why? How can I create a model where SEs are higher in regions with low biome representation?

Thanks