[R-meta] Percent Correct as outcome variable

Markus Janczyk markus.janczyk at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jan 29 11:04:31 CET 2018

Dear everybody,

We are interested in a meta-analytic question related to memory research.

Consider the case where two conditions X and Y are compared.
Unfortunately, in many of the (old) papers only the means M_X and M_Y
are reported for the percent correct remembered items (and often not
even the interesting t-test). To calcutale a "real" effect size as the
outcome measure to use in a meta-analysis, we need to some variability
measure though (if I understood the metafor functions right). With the
data we have, it feels like a raw (and non-standardized) effect we can
caluculate as the outcome variable (i.e., D = M_X - M_Y).

Is there any other possible solution or improvement somebody knows of or
recommends or just somebody who can let me know a reference where I can
look?

Thanks, Markus

--
Jun.-Prof. Dr. phil. habil. Markus Janczyk, Dipl.-Psych.

University of Tübingen
Department of Psychology
Cognition and Action
Schleichstraße 4