[R-meta] Open Data: preferred way of publishing

James Pustejovsky jepusto at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 16:41:44 CET 2018

I would recommend one of the following (in decreasing order of enthusiasm):

1. Post raw data and replication code to the Open Science Framework (http://osf.io). This will let you create a doi, so that you can add a citation to the data and materials in your article. Also a license to be clear about conditions for re-use. This approach gives high assurance that others will be able to find the materials even years from now.
2. Post data and materials to GitHub. Similar benefits in terms of long-term stability, but the interface is less friendly for non-programmers and the doi and license aren’t as easy.
3. Post as supplementary materials on journal website. This would seem the most intuitive and user-friendly, but depending on the journal, there’s no assurance that the links and materials will be preserved and discoverable in the long term.
4. Posting only in your personal website is not ideal because you might decide three years from now to reorganize it and then the url from your article will no longer work. Better to do (1) or (2) and then include a link on your personal site.
5. Any of the above is better than creating a nicely formatted table of the data and turning the table into pdf.