[R-meta] "impute-the-correlation + robustness + sensitive analysis" strategy

James Pustejovsky jepusto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 16:44:29 CET 2018

Celia,

If you have reasonable prior information about the correlation between
certain tests, which suggests that some tests are more highly correlated
then others, then I would definitely recommend using that information.

In principle, you can still use the "impute-the-correlation" strategy even
while assuming unequal correlations between certain tests. For instance, as
you suggested, you might assume r = 0.7 for the inter-correlation between
T1 through T4, but then assume r = 0.2 for the correlation between these
measures and T5. For sensitivity analysis, you could vary these
correlations by adding/subtracting 0.1 or 0.2 from each (off-diagonal)
cell.

Another useful sensitivity analysis would be to assume zero correlations
between tests from different domains and then also use the struct = "DIAG"
argument in rma.mv. This amounts to estimating separate (marginal) models
for each domain. If you get very different average effect estimates than
you do with the full multivariate model, then it would indicate that the
results are going to be fairly sensitive to the assumption you make about
the cross-domain correlations.

Of course, implementing these approaches takes a bit more work. One
approach would be to create the variance-covariance matrices for each study
"by hand," and then store them in a list that can be fed into rma.mv. This
is tedious but might it be the easiest way to go. I have an idea for how to
make the impute_covariance_matrix() function more helpful for your
use-case, but it will be a week or two before I can get to it.

James