[R-meta] Help with variance stabilizing transformation methods in Metafor

Todor Krastev dr.todor.krastev at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 21:34:18 CET 2018

Dear Guido,

Thank you for your prompt reply!

It took me some time to fix it and react to your email, but I did manage in
the end to fit the Poisson-normal model as described in Stijnen (2010),
which led to much more logical effect estimates in my meta-analysis.
I didnt quite succeed to work it out with the Meta package due to some
errors in the GLMM function and changed the decimal places manually (x100)
in Metafor to obtain the numbers as %.
As you can see in the attachment, I also obtained the 0.73 value with
Poisson (see attachment).

Also, maybe Wolfgang knows an simpler way to transform Forest plot values
in Metafor also to achieve numbers per 100 pt yrs?

I also checked out the Meta package and does look super neat in the way it
presents the individual study estimates in grey colour (makes the 95%CI
visible in large studies) and also automatically gives you the weighing of
studies and the measure of heterogeneity (all these I had to add manually).
It definitely got my attention and I shall try it out for my next project.

Thank you once again for your great help!

Regards,

Todor