[R-meta] Question about Cohen's d and meta-regression

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Jan 17 09:47:05 CET 2018

Hi Angeline,

I don't quite understand what your concern is. Neither approach (of computing a standardized mean change) is right or wrong -- they are just different ways of standardizing the mean change. Also, a large treatment effect does not automatically translate into a small correlation. If the effect is such that the mean goes up (or down) by a large constant for everybody, then the correlation will be 1. It is only when there is large variability in the size of the treatment effect that the correlation will be small. But again, I am not able to follow what you are concerned about, so I cannot really answer your question.