[R-meta] Multilevel meta-analysis, mutually exclusive levels

James Pustejovsky jepusto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 20:40:20 CET 2018

Erik,

This is an interesting question. I would like to offer a perspective that
contrasts a bit with the approach you are pursuing. If I understand your
problem correctly, your aim is to investigate whether follow-up time (or
some other predictor) is associated with effect magnitude, while
controlling for the possible confounding effects of the type of outcome. In
this case, I think it is acceptable and even desirable to include dummy
variables for each outcome category, even though this leads to a model with
many predictors. It's not that you'd want to interpret the coefficients on
all of the outcome category dummies, it's just that they need to be in the
model to control for possible spurious association. This approach is the
simplest and I would argue safest way to examine the focal moderator,
because the estimated association between follow-up time and effect size is
based entirely on patterns *within* outcome categories.

The random effects approach that you've described (and that Wolfgang
elaborated) might be valid as well, but it entails a further, potentially
strong assumption that the random outcome effects are independent of the
study's follow-up time (i.e., that the random effects are independent of
the predictors). Based on the description of the problem you're
investigating, it seems like this assumption might not be that reasonable.
If it is wrong, then the focal coefficient estimate may be biased (to an
extent that depends on the strength of association between the random
effects and the predictor, among other factors) because it is estimated
based on a combination of associations both within *and between* outcome
categories, rather than solely within outcome categories.

James