[R-meta] Calculating the covariance structure for multilevel meta-analysis using the raw mean

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Feb 26 16:03:03 CET 2018

Thanks for clarifying. For a within-subjects design, you would need the correlation between the measurements under the two treatments in order to compute the covariance of the means. The same applies to the case where a group is measured twice.

The problem is of course that these correlations are not reported. Strategies for dealing with this problem have been covered extensively in the past on this mailing list. The most straightforward approach would be to ignore the covariances during the model fitting and then use cluster-robust inference methods.

>>> study = c("study1","study1", "study2", "study2", "study3", "study3",
>>> "study4"),
>>> treatment = c("treatment1","treatment1", "treatment2", "treatment3",
>>> "treatment3", "treatment4", "treatment4"),
>>> mi = c(5.3, 5.1, 2.2, 3.4, 2.5, 5.1, 3.3),
>>> sdi = c(1.2, 1.3, 0.5, 3.1, 0.7, 2.1, 0.8),
>>> ni = c(28, 30, 20, 20, 42, 43, 120))
>>> require(metafor)
>>> dat <- escalc(data = dat, measure = "MN", mi = mi, sdi = sdi, ni = ni)
>>> dat
>>>
>>> As you can see in the above data, some studies examined only one type
>of
>>> treatment. I am trying to specify the model using the the following
>code.
>>>
>>> res <- rma.mv (yi, vi, mods = ~ treatment - 1, random = ~treatment |
>>> study, struct = "DIAG", data = dat)
>>>
>>> However, I cannot figure out how to calculate the covariance structure
>>> for this case, i.e., some studies include only one treatment. I am
>>> thinking that I probably cannot use the same approach as network meta-
>>> analysis. I would appreciate it if I could learn how to calculate the
>>> covariance matrix for this case.
>>>
>>> Also, some of the studies measured the outcome using two types of
>>> measurements. None of these studies reported a correlation between
>>> measurement 1 and measurement 2. Would it be possible for me to
>include
>>> this type of measurement as a factor while somehow specifying the
>>> covariance matrix for this as well? Or, should I just analyze the data
>>> separately for each type of measurement?
>>>
>>> ## data structure 2 ##
>>> dat <- data.frame(
>>> id = c(1,2,3,4,5, 6, 7),
>>> study = c("study1","study1", "study2", "study2", "study3", "study3",
>>> "study4"),
>>> treatment = c("treatment1","treatment1", "treatment2", "treatment3",
>>> "treatment3", "treatment4", "treatment4"),
>>> measurement = c("measurement1","measurement2", "measurement1",
>>> "measurement1", "measurement2", "measurement2", "measurement1"),
>>> mi = c(5.3, 5.1, 2.2, 3.4, 2.5, 5.1, 3.3),
>>> sdi = c(1.2, 1.3, 0.5, 3.1, 0.7, 2.1, 0.8),