[R-meta] Percent Correct as outcome variable

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Sun Feb 4 13:33:40 CET 2018

Dear Markus,

Sure, you can compute D = M_X - M_Y. Since M_X and M_Y are means, this is a mean difference. This can be easily handled by metafor, meta, etc. In metafor, you can compute mean differences with escalc(measure="MD", ...) and then pass those to rma(). In meta, there is metacont(sm="MD", ...).

The only problem is that in order to compute the sampling variance of a mean difference, you need the within-group variances, since:

var(D) = Var(X) / n_X + Var(Y) / n_Y.

So, unless you impute the missing within-group variances, you cannot include such studies when using standard meta-analytic procedures.

If you do know the t-test statistic or p-value (from which one could back-calculate the t-statistic), then:

Var(pooled) = D^2 / (t^2 * (1/n_X + 1/n_Y))

so then you can back-calculate the pooled within-group variance (assuming the t-test computed was also computed based on the pooled variance) and then we could assume Var(pooled) = Var_X = Var_Y for computing var(D).