[R-meta] Accounting for uncertainty in a mixed-effects regression

Cesar Terrer Moreno cesar.terrer at me.com
Fri Feb 2 19:19:26 CET 2018

Dear James,

Thanks, this is very helpful.

However, I can’t manage to make the predict function work. My entire model is a bit more complicated than in my original question, also including an interaction as moderator and Biome as you just suggested :

meta.mv <- rma.mv(es, var, data=df, mods= ~ 1 + MAP + MAT*CO2dif + Biome))

Now, when I use predict:
# correspondence of variables between df (meta-analysis database) and s.df (global data of the predictors to predict the effect globally) is:
# MAT == temperature, MAP == precipitation, Biome == Biome, CO2inc = 300

pred.mv <- predict(meta.mv,  newmods = cbind(s.df$precipitation, s.df$temperature, CO2inc, s.df$temperature*CO2inc,s.df$Biome))

Error in predict.rma(ECMmv, newmods = cbind(s.df$precipitation, s.df$temperature,  :
  Dimensions of 'newmods' do not match dimensions of the model.

I guess this error is because i) Biome is categorical, and ii) number of factor levels in df$Biome and s.df$Biome is different:

> levels(df$Biome)
[1] "Boreal_Forest"    "Cropland"         "Grassland"        "Shrubland"
[5] "Temperate_Forest" "Tropical_Forest”

> levels(s.df$Biome)
 [1] ""                 "Boreal_Forest"    "Cropland"         "Grassland"
 [5] "Mixed"            "Nodata"           "Other"            "Shrubland"
 [9] "Temperate_Forest" "Tropical_Forest"

This is because there are “biomes” in the world (s.df) that are not included in the dataset of experiments of the meta-analysis (s), although all Biomes in s are included in s.df with the same name.

How can I make the predict function work? Thanks
César