[R-meta] [EXTERNAL] Re: question about effect size estimates using Berkey

Van Meter, Anna @v@nmeter @ending from northwell@edu
Mon Dec 24 16:25:01 CET 2018

Dear Michael,

Thank you - this is very helpful!

A few follow-up questions for the group:

*I was using the Berkey method to account for the fact that individuals might be represented in multiple prevalence groups. Is that still necessary with this approach that allows the heterogeneity to be different within subgroup, or is it better to estimate with the Konstantopolous (yi, vi) approach?

*If it is still better to use Berkey (which I suspect is the case), does the struct="DIAG" command account for the block diagonal or is struct="UN" better?

*I had been using ML as the estimator, but this example is using REML. I'm sure this topic has been addressed before, so if someone could point me to information about which is best in this scenario, I would appreciate it.

*Finally, when I run a simple model with only the prevalence type (threegroup) as a moderator:

resmvberkeyhybrid<-rma.mv(yi, berkeyV, mods = ~ newgroup, random = ~ newgroup | articleno, struct="DIAG", data=kidtall1, digits=3)

I get separate coefficients for two of the three groups, but when I include other moderators in the model:

resmvberkeyhybridmods<-rma.mv(yi, berkeyV, mods=cbind(newgroup, yearpub_center, USA, multiinformantyn, broad, age_center, lifetime), random = ~ newgroup | articleno, struct="DIAG",  data=kidtall1, digits=3)

I get only one coefficient for threegroup. I'm not sure why this would change.

Many thanks!

Best,

Anna